Silverleaf Resorts has learned that so-called 'relief,' 'rescue,' or 'advocacy' operations are soliciting timeshare owners to participate in their programs. The initial solicitation often comes in the form of a phone call, a letter or an e-mail. Some operations suggest there is an upcoming increase in maintenance fees or that you were subject to deceptive sales practices - and they can obtain a release for you from your contract and potentially a refund.
The owner will be asked to pay a large up-front fee but is promised a 100% money-back guarantee. However, after the owner has paid the upfront fee and becomes dissatisfied because the operation provides no meaningful support or assistance or cannot achieve what it promised, the operation refuses to refund the owner's money. Some of these operations even advise you that you should stop making your required payments, which is not true and can potentially lead to a foreclosure and a negative mark on your credit rating.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW?
- Silverleaf Resorts will not communicate or work with an outside company regarding an owner's account.
- Be very skeptical of any upfront fees.
- Be wary. Do not assume that a particular operation is reputable simply because they claim to have a high success rate or are members of particular consumer advocacy organizations.
- Do your own research. Visit ARDA-ROC's Timeshare Resale Resource Center at www.ardaroc.org. Attorneys general, the FBI, the FTC, and consumer protection groups have all published advisories and provided tips to owners to make sure owners are not being scammed.
- If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. We are asking our owners to be careful when responding to these "scams". There is a strong likelihood that you will lose the money you pay to a "relief' or "rescue" company and will be left in a worse financial position than before.
Silverleaf Resorts does not authorize any third party to solicit our customers on our behalf. If you are contacted by anyone promising to assist you with the termination of your timeshare, you should exercise caution and contact us. Silverleaf Resorts values its members and supports consumer protection. In the event you think you have already been a victim of a timeshare relief scam, please contact Silverleaf Resorts at 888-476-0991